Below is a list of sparring gear we recommend purchasing, listed in order of what we think you should buy first.
1) Hard-Shell Groin Protection: This is required for men for doing anything in class, including non-cooperative drilling and sparring. They’re available at most sports retailers.
2) Fencing Mask
- AF International Sporting HEMA Mask (Available at wholesale prices through the club’s online store).
- PBT HEMA Mask
- Leon Paul Titan X-Change HEMA Mask
Not allowed: Leon Paul Non-HEMA Masks. The mesh is too fine for longsword and will fail, resulting in lacerations and head injuries.
3) Back of Head Protection
4) Throat Protector (Gorget)
Not Acceptable: Hockey gloves or lacrosse gloves of any kind.
7) Elbows: Any hard shell elbow protection that covers the three points of the joint is sufficient, including most brands of field hockey elbow guards, available at local sports retailers. For a HEMA specific elbow guard, try these:
9) Forearm Guards: Available custom-made from the club for $10. Email Meg to know more.
12) Rapiers (Choose “Spread Tip” in options).